Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Why did my policy come back more expensive than the online insurance quote? Is this an insurance scam?

Hi,

One of the most common questions and/or complaints I hear about online insurance quotes is from people who's actually policy got delivered with a higher premium than the initial quote. This tends to upset people, especially if the policy was not delivered by an insurance agent who took time to explain the higher price.

I have to say that insurance companies are one of the most highly regulated industries by state and federal governments. It is unlikely that a licensed insurance company is out there scamming people on the internet. But like any other company, they may be a little - shall we say - optimistic when promoting their products.

Let me tell you a story. I was on a life insurance appointment, and I gave a nice lady her premium quote. She told me that she had done an online insurance quote which was about $10/month cheaper. I looked at the price and compared it to my own company. Then I explained that she might qualify for a similar rate, but only if the policy came back 'preferred'.

Her face lit up, and she said, "Oh yes, that's what I selected...a preferred rate." I tried to explain that you cannot just select a preferred rate but have to qualify by health history, credit, and other factors. I'm sure the situation is similar with car insurance, only they would consider a driving record.

The lady didn't get it. I did not make a sale. See, I am usually conservative and quote a standard rate while explaining that I will try to make a case for a preferred rates. Apparently the online websites are quoting preferred rates and hoping the consumers will accept a higher rate in case they don't qualify.

I hope this story illustrates why advertised rates may seem better than agent quotes - and why sometimes the advertised rates won't be YOUR premium rate.

I like this insurance quoting service because you can get online insurance quotes, and also a local agent finder. That way, if you have questions about some of the plans outlined on the internet, you can follow up with a call to a local agent.

INSUREME - CLICK HERE FOR ONLINE QUOTES AND A LOCAL AGENT FINDER


If you are a local insurance agent - i.e. you provide life insurance, health insurance, long term care insurance, auto insurance, and/or homeowners insurance, you can find out how to get listed with insureme. You can help inform consumers, and if you provide good service, it should help you grow your business. Insurance agents, click here to find out about insurance leads with insureme.

No comments: