Thursday, July 05, 2007

Discount Car Insurance -- The True Cost

The true cost of discount car insurance may not be in the premiums. I just had a minor car accident, and I'm so happy that I did not succumb to the temptation to switch to a cheaper plan a few weeks ago! I have not had an accident for a long time, but I had been judged at fault in this one. Nobody was hurt, but my car had about $1500 of damage, plus the truck I backed into had some minor damage.

I kept my comprehensive coverage, despite the fact that my car is a few years old and paid for. (Yeah for paid off cars!). I also made sure my insurance covered a rental car for the time my own vehicle spent in the body shop. I did raise my deductible to $500 - but I knew that while the expense would annoy me, it was an amount I could afford.

Anyway, I got my car fixed with very little inconvenience. The adjuster even worked with me on the car rental situation because I planned to be on vacation for a few days after my car was scheduled to be fixed.

Now I could have saved $20 a month by switching to Brand X, but if I had given up my collision insurance and only kept liability that decision would have cost me $1000! In addition, I would not have had rental car coverage, so I would have been without wheels or spent another $400 on a rental myself.

I would have to pay premiums for several months to save $1400! Think about your situation before you cut out benefits to save a few dollars every month!

If you are unhappy with your current car insurance, or if you want to find a high quality insurance plan for less, get free online car insurance quotes!

No comments: