Thursday, July 06, 2006

Pregnant but cannot get insurance or Medicaid?

I get calls 3 or 4 times a week from women (or their husband/boyfriend) who are pregnant. These women either do not have health insurance - or their health insurance does not cover many aspects of pregnancy. This is a tough situation.

Here's the advice I give out on the phone.
1. Try your state medicaid office - Income limits are raised a little for HIV positive people, pregnant women, and some other situations. Find Out.
Here's a very good website I found on this issue: http://womanshealth.gov/hiv/financial.cfm

IF YOU CANNOT GET MEDICAID.....
2. I have helped people sign up for a self-directed-health care plan. THIS IS NOT HEALTH INSURANCE - I post that everywhere and still the people call asking for health insurance when they are pregnant. I CANNOT HELP YOU. I don't know if anybody can - maybe somebody can - but I doubt it. Here in Texas (and probably elsewhere) no private company will pick up a pregnant lady. That's it. End of story. They won't even pick up the family of a pregnant lady.

I AM NOT DEFENDING THIS - I AM JUST STATING IT - so please don't contact me and ask me for health insurance when you are pregnant. Heck, I'd love to sell insurance to everybody - but the insurance companies have rules - and I must abide by them.

So now that I've finished that little rant, I suggest you try this:
http://www.ahco.biz/19806 - It is a company called AHCO, and the program is called Maternity Card. Now I have clients who have used it - some have no health insurance, and some have health insurance - but with deductibles, etc. - and they say it helps them.

--- DO NOT CALL THE NUMBER ON THE SITE - Just click ENROLL NOW
-- ON THE NEXT PAGE, CLICK MATERNITY CARD ---
-- FILL OUT THE FORM WITH YOUR CONTACT INFO - PREFERABLE NAME, PHONE NUMBER, and YOUR ZIP CODE - You can also include contact info.

THE COMPANY WILL CONTACT YOU WITHIN 24 HOURS ON A BUSINESS DAY - M-F

Sorry to write all in caps, but calling me is pointless.

Thanks!

No comments: